Signs That Your Gas Fireplace Needs Repair

Like any system in your home, your gas fireplace needs regular maintenance to function correctly. Call a professional for gas fireplace repair Denver if you notice cracks or holes in your chimney.

A faulty gas fireplace can be dangerous for your family. Here are four signs that your fireplace needs repair before it’s too late.

The Pilot Light Isn’t Working

If your gas fireplace’s pilot light keeps going out, it indicates that your unit needs repair. The pilot light ensures the gas supply is open and allows gas into the unit. If the pilot light isn’t lit, the gas cannot flow and will shut off.

A common cause for the pilot light to go out is a strong gust of wind. If this is the case, you can try to relight the pilot light using long-handled matches or a pair of pliers (to keep your hands away from the flame) or call in a professional.

Another common reason the pilot light goes out is that it’s not burning brightly enough. A blue flame is ideal, and you can often check the size of your pilot orifice by referencing an owner’s manual or a pilot light instruction label commonly found on the gas valve’s access panel. If you have a multimeter, you can test for voltage by touching the inner and outer wires with your probes.

You’re Smelling Gas

If you smell gas, shut off your fireplace and turn on a light. Call the pros to check the ducting and gas supply line if you still smell it. You should also have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, located near a gas fireplace, and ensure it is working.

A slight odor is normal when a new gas fireplace or furniture is first used and heated up. This is called off-gassing and usually happens for one to three hours.

However, a strong rotten egg smell indicates that natural gas or propane leaks from the fireplace. It may be escaping from the venting system or a gas leak. If you suspect a leak, shut off your gas fireplace and open windows. Leave your home until it is deemed safe to return by emergency services. If you are feeling dizzy or have headaches, there are likely dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home.

Your Heating Bills Have Increased

Gas fireplaces can add warmth and ambiance to your home but can also become expensive to maintain without proper care. Regular maintenance by a certified gas technician is essential to minimize costly repairs and ensure your fireplace functions properly.

This includes checking for any whistling or hissing sounds near the fireplace, yellowing of grass and plants inside and outside your home (a sign of natural gas buildup), and stains on walls, ceilings, or exterior masonry that could indicate a leak. If not corrected, these serious problems can expose you and your family to dangerous carbon monoxide fumes.

While it is not as obvious as some other signs, if your fireplace fails to heat your home, it indicates something is wrong. Some issues, including improper venting or damage to the system, can cause this. This is a serious problem that requires the attention of an experienced professional.

You’re Smelling Rotten Eggs

There’s something special about sitting in front of a crackling fireplace on a cold winter’s eve. But, it is important to remember that gas fireplaces need regular maintenance and repair. They can become dangerous and cause serious health issues in your home without proper care.

If you notice the odor of rotten eggs, it indicates that your gas fireplace needs to be repaired. The odor is due to hydrogen sulfide (or sewer gas), which can harm your family’s health. It also indicates a gas leak, which should be repaired immediately.

The smell of rotten eggs can also indicate an electrical issue in your home. It can be caused by burning wires, which can be very dangerous. A pungent fish smell is another indication of a problem that needs to be taken seriously. Electrical wires and manufactured plastic components can melt when exposed to high heat.