These days, everyone knows that they should be recycling. If they don’t, they probably live on another planet. Recycling is one of the best things that we can do to help save the Earth for future generations. In that spirit, here are some fun facts about aluminum recycling that you may have not known about before.
1. A used aluminum can only takes 60 days to be fully recycled, filled back up with product, and placed back on the store shelf. This is known as closed-loop recycling and is one of the most significant ways to keep aluminum cans out of landfills.
2. While aluminum cans used in the beverage industry are far and away the most recycled aluminum product, there are still other products which involve recycled aluminum including aluminum siding, gutters, outdoor furniture and car parts. All of these things add up to a huge amount of used aluminum avoiding the landfills.
3. To put it into perspective, the energy saved by recycling one aluminum can is the equivalent of a half-gallon of gasoline or enough electricity to power a television for three hours.
4. If you throw an aluminum can away, it has a lifespan of over 500 years. Multiply that one can by thousands or even millions and you can envision a lot of garbage being placed unnecessarily in our landfills.
5. One of the easiest ways to recycle is to use a curbside recycling service offered by waste services pinellas county. This way you do not even have to drive to the recycling center to dispose of your cans.
6. At one point in history, aluminum was actually considered more valuable than gold. Now THAT is a weird fact.
Hopefully, this article has inspired you to step up your recycling efforts and do everything you can to keep the Earth clean.